MY MINIONS

Halloween Begins

Tuesday, May 14, 2019

Trilogy of Books and a TV Show to Boot!

image via Sundance Now
Last night I finished brushing up on The All Souls Trilogy. Yeah, that pain thingy had me up all night so since I wasn't doing anything I decided to finish reading through the trilogy's last book, The Book of Life. I usually don't like to review books that much but if y'all are watching the TV series on AMC on Sunday nights it goes by A Discovery of Witches, which is really based on the first book and introduces us to the world of witches, daemons, and vampires. The daemons have me laughing because of how they are portrayed in the books and that explains a lot about certain members of society today. Yeah, the strange and borderline crazy people just might be daemons. The witches are, well, witches blessed with different powers and the vampires are nothing of what you would expect but maybe a bit more. Also, as far as I know, the TV series has been okayed for a second season and if it all goes according to the books, Shadow of Night will be represented in the second season. 
The books are better because the show leaves out so much that should be available to the nonreaders. But I have to say the trilogy books are a rollicking ride through history and witchcraft and vampirism. I enjoyed reading them the first time when they first came out, I think it was 2008 or 09? I'm not sure and I'm too lazy to go check right now. But the books by Deborah Harkness are really very good and brushing through them again was fun because I forgot about certain things that happened in the storyline. Really, I loved the first and second books more than the last one. But the last book tied all the loose ends together and I hated when it all came to an end . . . but did it. Debrah left the ending on an opening note. So, there could be more books later, who knows. It's been a long time since she finished the series. So, I highly recommend getting her trilogy and reading them. You won't be sorry.

5 comments:

ellen abbott said...

I imagine my sister has read these. I might give them a try but I'll wait. not ready for another series. I'm behind on my book reviews which I usually do every three months. mostly because I've been ploughing through the Outlander series but I finally finished (yay). have to review the last two books.

Ol'Buzzard said...

My wife and I have read them all, and are thrilled they are now beginning to be shown on TV. I hope you are right about the second season. So far, the series is true to the book.
the Ol'Buzzard

yellowdoggranny said...

I don't know why I haven't read them..but I'm going to...also going to start watching the tv show today

pam nash said...

I've read the trilogy also. Read it back they first came out in 2011, 12 maybe? And, I enjoyed them tremendously. I also reread them a while back. Good books. However I didn't enjoy the TV adaption. I thought the movers and shakers changed too much, actors didn't fit the characters, too much was skipped. Not sure I want to watch the 2nd series.

The JR said...

They sound interesting. I read a lot. Thanks for the review.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...