MY MINIONS

Halloween Begins

Tuesday, December 3, 2019

Tuesday

 If I'm going to be up at this unusual hour I might as well make myself useful. So, I started a wash load of towels and mixed up some sourdough for baking. Yeah, I can't sleep again, to much pain in my legs and back. I'm so fucking tired too. Exhaustion will take me down in a few hours so I've started my sourdough bread and a load of laundry. The bread dough is in the first rise right now proofing in the oven. I'll be turning it in another 18 minutes. I do that every 30 minutes for the next 2 hours then leave it to proof for 4 to 6 hours then it's baking time. It should be ready to bake close to around lunchtime. I do love my sourdough bread. I have a butt load of sesame seeds a friend gave me a while back. I have them in bags in the freezer. I'm going to roll the bread in them before baking.
Lucy is snoring like a little old man next to me on the sofa. She's curled up under her blanket sleeping. I know when she's comfortable because she snorts and snores loudly but every time I get up to do something she wakes up and follows me and watches. She does this thing where she looks like she's guarding me. I can be folding clothes in the laundry room and she turns around facing away from me like she's on guard duty. She does this all the time and it started when I fell and got hurt last year. She follows me around and does this guarding stance every time I stand still in one spot to do something like wash dishes or do laundry and even when I'm in the bathroom she will stand in the doorway and stand guard. I wonder if this is what wolves do for the alfa female of their pack. She does it for David sometimes too but not all the time. She is mostly with me when he's home. I guess it's because I'm the food giver person. I provide the treats and other good stuff. David not so much. He never shares.
David and I traded Yule gift lists on Sunday. We like to keep it simple and only things we desperately need. His is a new wallet, pill caddy, steering wheel cover, cup holder for his phone, a messenger bag for his laptop, and last but not least a watch band for his watch. I need a new watercolor tray because I ran out of paints, 2 new watercolor brushes, pencils, a composition notebook for recipes, a pill cutter, and a new hand mixer because my old one bit the dust on Saturday while making butter cookies. We start giving presents to each other on Yule which is the 21st or Winter Solstice. We don't celebrate Christmas. We celebrate the 12 days of Yule giving small intimate presents that we really need not something that would gather dust. I have a few other things to give him like a small toolbox for household tools. A set of Allen wrenches in metric. A new straight edge because he lost the old one. Carpenter's pencils because he's always losing them. and a few other things I know he needs. We try to stick to the lists as much as possible.
Well, I'm behind in the second turning of the sourdough. Y'all have a magical day.


7 comments:

anne marie in philly said...

you and david have a nice tradition.

The JR said...

That's a good tradition. We don't really each other presents a lots of times. But, we have been known to get something big for the house. Like the electric gate at the front of the property one year. A security camera system another time.

My mom baked bread and the house always smelled wonderful.

ellen abbott said...

we don't celebrate christmas either. we don't give gifts at all. I usually buy myself something, usually a piece of art which I have already bought this year. we used to when the kids were at home but I got tired of being the one who shopped for him and him reluctantly getting something inappropriate under duress for me. fuck it. if he can't be bothered to try and come up with a thoughtful gift then neither would I. it's better this way, I don't get my feelings hurt.

Debra She Who Seeks said...

My Rare One and I exchange gift lists too. It's a practical way of doing things! It's better to receive things we actually need than a bunch of junk we don't!

yellowdoggranny said...

I like that tradition..a lot..I start dropping not so subtle hints around August for what I would like for birthday and Christmas..

pam nash said...

I hate it when my brain says - GET UP - at 2am. Ugh. I like your Yule tradition. Very nice.

JustGail said...

I like your & David's gift tradition. Including (especially?) the exchange of lists. DH & I used to, but so often what was given & received had nothing to do with the lists or the recipient. I wonder if that's why I don't like gift giving much any more, except for baby gifts? That and the "no clue what to give, so gift cards it is!". Sorry that's dangerously close to a whine or rant! I may as well throw in a "Bah Humbug!", "Harumph." and a "Get off my grass!" while I'm at it :-)

I revived my sour dough starter last week, I'm so glad I dried a bit last time I used it (2 years ago!), I had to use a bit of it to get it going again. What's the turning the dough every 1/2 hour for? The instructions I use have nothing about this.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...