Google is wrong. Ballet shoes cost on average about $230 to $2600 depending on the maker. if they are customized to the dancer's foot then they will really Be high in price. The dancer will go through about 18 pairs a week because they are going through a lot of practice sessions and then when they dance on stage they will go through at least 2 pairs per show. No I wasn't a ballet dancer. We didn't have the availability for a studio when we were stationed overseas. Ex- Army brat here. After my dad retired in El Paso, Texas, my little sister took classes but never wanted to finish.
Oh River, this is an interesting mini documentary about the things ballet dancers do to their shoes to make them better. I just wanted to share what i found on the subject.
👏🩰 Bravo! Quite an artisan in a craft I've never known anything about. I am not knowledgeable about ballet, either, but I do like it as the subject of some good movies. I thought about those movies as I watched the shoe being made. How can a lovely-looking, well-made shoe cause so much pain and damage [always shown in close-ups in those films] for the truly dedicated dancer? I know the answer is not in the shoecraft and I admire those who can push past the pain for something they love. ❤️ And yet, I wince!! 😖
Google says these cost approx $150 (US) per pair and last between 10-20 hours of dancing time.
ReplyDeleteDid you ever take ballet, Leanna? I'm curious why you are interested in ballet pointe shoes.
Google is wrong. Ballet shoes cost on average about $230 to $2600 depending on the maker. if they are customized to the dancer's foot then they will really Be high in price. The dancer will go through about 18 pairs a week because they are going through a lot of practice sessions and then when they dance on stage they will go through at least 2 pairs per show.
DeleteNo I wasn't a ballet dancer. We didn't have the availability for a studio when we were stationed overseas. Ex- Army brat here. After my dad retired in El Paso, Texas, my little sister took classes but never wanted to finish.
I didn't watch, I have worked in shoe factories so have a reasonable idea how they are made.
ReplyDeleteOh River, this is an interesting mini documentary about the things ballet dancers do to their shoes to make them better. I just wanted to share what i found on the subject.
DeleteMy daughter wore pointe ballet slippers.
ReplyDeleteThey look more like torture contraptions than elegant dance shoes
Fascinatingly, thank you.
ReplyDelete👏🩰 Bravo! Quite an artisan in a craft I've never known anything about.
ReplyDeleteI am not knowledgeable about ballet, either, but I do like it as the subject of some good movies. I thought about those movies as I watched the shoe being made. How can a lovely-looking, well-made shoe cause so much pain and damage [always shown in close-ups in those films] for the truly dedicated dancer? I know the answer is not in the shoecraft and I admire those who can push past the pain for something they love. ❤️
And yet, I wince!! 😖
I shake my fist at Google!
ReplyDelete